About Us

The members of The Motley Few met by happenstance. We happened to have a passion for swimming, biking, & running and we just so happened to be in pursuit of improving performance (and health) through the means of plant-based nutrition. It was a natural fusion of compatible personalities. We set big goals but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We train hard, we play hard, and we live for the aliveness of life that abounds on our training grounds of Wilmywood. If you see us out there training or racing, come say hi & join us. We are always up for meeting new peeps and adding to our formidable bunch of MFers.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

MFer Profile: Alli Shofe

The Cheetah


Cheetah is a runner turned ultra runner who is "testing out the waters" of the triathlon world. She recently transitioned into the vegan world with the help of Sarge after being a vegetarian for two years to aide in becoming a better athlete. Queen Bee was her inspiration to face her fears and jump into doing the B2B half iron distance. The whole MF team has been motivating and supportive introducing her to this crazy world! Who knows what's next?!

Goals:

Finish B2B half iron distance without drowning ;)
Qualify for Boston by running a 3:30 marathon at Kiawah.
Run a 50 miler one day.

Day Job:
Dental Hygenius (or Hygienist to everyday peeps) "I make smiles sparkle!"

Alma Maters:
Hoggard High School
Cape Fear Community College

Sports History:
Tennis player since 1990
Adult age group runner since 2004
Ultra runner since 2014
Ultra MoM (honorary mom) since 2014

Rank S/B/R in order of favorite to least favorite:
1. Run - I've been running the longest of the three, and I've always said it's my therapy. I do not run with music because that's my time to sort things out in my head....and pray. :)
2. Bike - I'm learning that this is great recovery for running...and it's humbling. So I keep plugging along to one day be able to keep up with the fast kids! ;)
3. Swim - I've grown up at the beach and around the water, but I grew up with two family members that were deathly afraid of the open water, so I'm overcoming the ingrained fear and conquering it. This is my biggest challenge.

Favorite Race:
I have so many! At so many levels!
My fave races have been Run for the Red Marathon in the Poconos because it's been my hardest and fastest 26.2 yet!
But I love the ultras I've done, Gator Trail 50k was amazing in every way!! And the GCI ultra relay was so much fun because I shared it with 5 incredible ladies, Ultra Moms on a Mission.

Bucket-List Race:
Boston
But you can talk me into running anywhere!

Favorite Post-Race Food:
Mellow Mushroom mega veggie vegan pizza

Hobbies:
Baking, beach, reading, anything creative!

Favorite Music: (I changed it from movies, because I love music better)
Dave Matthews Band, Lumineers, Imagine Dragons, Mumford and Sons, 30 Seconds to Mars

Celebrity Crush:
Jared Leto


Words To Live By:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment